Brian’s Grilled Branzini & Fennel
Serves 2 to 4
Prep time: 10 minutes; cooking time: 10- to-15 minutes
- 2 (1 ½ lbs. each) whole Branzini, cleaned
- Large pot of salted water
- 2 fennel bulbs, cut each bulb into 4 quarters (reserve fronds, discard stems)
- 1 lemon, cut into ¼ – inch slices
- Olive oil (plus extra for garnish)
- ¼ cup oregano, chopped (may need more to cover fish)
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Heat water over medium-high heat until it boils; add fennel bulbs; cover; cook until fork tender (about 5-to-10 minutes); remove bulbs from water, pat dry w/paper towel.
- Season quarters w/Salt & Pepper, drizzle oil on top; grill over medium heat covered a few minutes until grill marks form; remove; set aside.
- Rub outside fish w/oil, oregano; season outside fish w/Salt & Pepper.
- Stuff fish cavity w/handful fronds, 3-to-4 lemon slices.
- Grill fish over medium heat for a few minutes per side or until done.
- Remove cores from grilled fennel; discard cores; cut grilled fennel into ¼ -inch slices; serve fish on bed of fennel slices.
- Drizzle a little olive oil on top of fish; serve.