Brian’s Caramel Apples
Serves 4 to 6
Prep time: 5 minutes; cooking time: 15 to 20 minutes
- 2 cups raw sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 to 4 Granny Smith apples, sliced, cored with skin (can substitute your favorite apple)
- Garnishes – chopped nuts, chocolate chips (optional)
- In large pot, add sugar and water; bring to boil over medium-high heat; stir w/wooden spoon until sugar dissolves.
- Slowly stir in cream.
- Add vanilla seeds and lemon juice.
- Reduce heat to low; stir occasionally while simmering until mixture reduces to caramel consistency; turn off heat.
- Drizzle caramel on top of apple slices or dip slices in caramel until slices are well coated.
- Sprinkle nuts and chocolate chips on top of caramel apple slices (let your kids do this).
- Place slices on pan lined w/wax paper then chill slices in frig until caramel is set (at least 15 minutes).