Chef Tee’s Challah French Toast with Peaches & Cream
Serves 4 to 6
Prep time: 5-to-10 minutes; cooking time: 5-to-10 minutes
- 1 loaf challah bread (preferably a few days old); sliced into ½-inch slices
- 1 pint milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. peach schnapps (optional)
- 2 Tbsps. canola or vegetable oil
- Apple butter
- Peach compote (see recipe below)
- Garnish — Moorenko’s ginger ice cream (can substitute whipped topping)
1. In large, shallow bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, cinnamon, peach schnapps; lightly dip both sides of bread slices in egg custard.
2. In large skillet, add 2 Tbsps. oil; heat pan to medium-high; add bread slices coated in egg custard; cook until golden brown on both sides (about 2-to-3 minutes per side).
3. Remove slices from pan; spread 1 Tbsp. apple butter on each slice.
4. Top each slice w/peach compote, ice cream.
Chef Tee’s Peach Compote
- 5 ripe peaches w/skins, diced
- 4 Tbsps. butter
- ½ cup raw sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- Add butter to cold large skillet; heat pan to medium high.
- Add sugar; when butter is melted, mixture looks like bubbling caramel, add peaches, salt, ginger.
- Cook until sugar crystals dissolve; remove from heat; set aside until ready to serve.