Chef Tee’s Cod with Spring Vegetables
Prep time: 10-to-15 minutes; cooking time: 5-to-10 minutes
- 4 (5 oz. each) cod fillets
- 2 cups fiddlehead ferns
- 1 bunch of asparagus, stems trimmed, cut into thirds
- 4 or 5 ramps, roughly chopped
- 4 strips bacon, chopped
- 1 large russet potato, peeled, diced
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 Tbsps. canola oil
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Blanch* fiddlehead ferns; drain; set aside.
- Blanch* potato in same water fiddleheads were blanched in; drain; set potato aside.
- In medium skillet, add bacon; cook over medium-high heat to release fat drippings; cook until bacon is crisp; remove bacon from skillet.
- Add onions to hot skillet w/bacon fat drippings; cook a few minutes; add asparagus, blanched fiddleheads, potato, lemon zest, ramps; cook until vegetables are tender; season w/Salt & Pepper; set aside.
- In medium skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat.
- Pat cod dry w/paper towel; season fillets w/Salt & Pepper.
- Add fish to hot pan; cook until starts to flake (about 2-to-3 minutes); add stock, cream; bring to a boil; cook until fish flakes apart; add cooked vegetables.
- Plate cod, vegetables; top w/1-to-2 Tbsps. bacon.
*Blanch — to boil food in a pot of salted water for a few minutes, then plunge it into a bowl of ice water to preserve its color and crisp texture.