Serves 6 to 8
Prep time: up to 4 hours; cooking time: 15-to-20 minutes
- 1 lb. flank steak
- 1 white onion, quartered and tooth-picked together
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Canola or vegetable oil
- Favorite fajita seasoning or marinade
- 10-to-12 flour tortillas
- Garnishes – sour cream, cheddar cheese, tomatoes, salsa, chopped cilantro
- Lightly coat steak w/oil, then season w/fajita seasoning (if using marinade let meat soak for 1-to-4 hours, covered at room temperature), set aside.
- Coat onion, peppers w/oil, Salt & Pepper; put coated vegetables on medium-high grill; cook for 5 minutes or until onion, peppers’ skins char on one side, then carefully rotate vegetables and continue grilling until skins char all over; remove from grill, put on plate, cover w/plastic wrap, let sit for 15-to-20 minutes to loosen skins.
- Put seasoned meat on medium-high grill; sear each side, then cook to desired doneness (about 10 minutes for medium rare).
- Remove steak from grill, let sit for 5-to-10 minutes.
- Remove plastic cover from vegetables, remove charred veggie skins (they should slide off easily)
- Cut peppers in half; remove, discard seeds, then slice peppers into long strips.
- Cut onion into strips.
- Slice meat across grain into strips
- Warm tortillas in microwave for about 30 seconds (can also heat in hot skillet or oven).
- Put few strips of meat, onion, peppers on warmed tortilla, garnish w/sour cream, cheese, tomatoes, salsa.
- Roll or fold tortilla closed.
- Repeat steps 10 and 11 for rest of tortillas; enjoy!