Chef Tee’s Hoppin’ John
- 1 cup dry, black-eyed peas
- 5 to 6 cups water
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ½ cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- Rinse peas, then put them in large saucepan.
- Add water, chipotle pepper, onion and green bell pepper; bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to simmer; cook until beans are tender, but not mushy (about 1 ½ hours).
- Add salt to taste after beans are tender, not before.
- Add rice; cover and simmer over medium-low heat for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat; take off cover; fluff with fork and serve immediately.