Serves 6 to 8
- 9 lasagna noodles
- ½ lb. ground beef, crumbled
- ¼ lb. chorizo sausage, crumbled (buy sausage links, then remove meat from casing)
- ¼ cup white onion, diced
- 15 oz. ricotta, whole milk cheese (can substitute mascarpone cheese)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 lbs. mozzarella cheese, shredded ( ½ cup for recipe, rest for topping)
- 1 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. oregano, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. basil, chopped
- 16 oz. favorite tomato sauce plus extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cook noodles according to box directions, drain, cool, coat w/oil so don’t stick; set aside.
- Add beef, sausage, onion in medium sauce pan; cook until meat is brown, onions are soft; set mixture aside.
- In medium bowl, add ricotta, eggs, Parmesan, ½ cup mozzarella, oregano, basil, parsley, meat mixture.
- Mix ingredients; set aside.
Directions II: Lasagna assembly
- Pour 1/3 of meat, cheese mixture in bottom of 9 ½” x 9 ½” pan.
- Arrange three noodles, side-by-side, on top of cheese mixture, allowing noodles to run up two sides of pan.
- Spread ½ meat, cheese mixture evenly over noodles.
- Add 1/3 tomato sauce on top of cheese mixture
- Arrange three more noodles, side-by-side, in pan perpendicular to first three , allowing noodles to run up sides of pan.
- Spread remaining meat, cheese mixture on top of noodles.
- Fold noodles that run up sides toward center to encase cheese mixture.
- Trim two inches from edge of three remaining lasagna noodles at perpendicular angle; discard edges.
- Lay noodles on top of lasagna; tuck noodles down sides of pan.
- Cover w/remaining 1/3 tomato sauce; tint lasagna w/foil cover.
- Bake for about one hour; remove from oven; sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top; bake uncovered until cheese melts, golden brown (about 15 minutes).
- Cool about 30 minutes; serve w/extra tomato sauce.