Brian’s Turkey & Pumpkin Stew
Prep time: 10-to-15 minutes; cooking time: 15-to-20 minutes
- 2 Tbsps. vegetable oil
- 2-to-3 cups pumpkin, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 cup smoked turkey meat (can substitute favorite cooked turkey meat), cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 cup celery, cut into ¼-inch cubes
- 1 carrot, cut into ¼ -inch slices
- 1 (32 oz.) container chicken stock
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup shallots, roughly chopped
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- Rosemary to taste
- Sage to taste
- Thyme to taste
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Garnish — chopped parsley
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-heat; add pumpkin, season w/Salt & Pepper; cook until tender (not mushy); set aside.
- In large stock pot, add stock, carrots, celery; bring to boil over medium-high heat; add rice, shallots, mushrooms, spices, turkey, cooked pumpkin, reduce heat to medium, continue cooking until celery, carrots are tender (not mushy).
- Serve in small pumpkin (see tip below) or over rice.
*Tip — To serve stew in pumpkin, just cut off pumpkin top, thoroughly clean out seeds; (optional — carve a design on outside of pumpkin, but not too deep, so stew doesn’t seep out when you serve it) rub vegetable oil on outside of pumpkin, cover w/foil; bake pumpkin open side up in preheated 400° F oven for 45 minutes or until pumpkin flesh is tender (not mushy); remove from oven, carefully remove foil; let pumpkin cool a few minutes; whip off excess oil; spoon stew in pumpkin; serve.