Serves 4 to 6
Prep time: 5 minutes; cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 lbs. ground beef or turkey, crumbled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can black beans
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can black eyed peas
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can dark red kidney beans
- ½ Tbsp. (or to taste) chili powder
- ¼ Tbsp. (or to taste) celery salt
- ½ Tbsp. (or to taste) cumin
- 1 Tbsp. (or to taste) smoked paprika
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, diced (can substitute 1 tsp. chipotle powder)
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced and seeds removed (optional, add if want spicy)
- 1 Tbsp. (or to taste) cayenne pepper (optional, add if want spicy)
- Garnishes—cilantro, sour cream, Pavino or favorite shredded cheese, chopped onions
- Brown meat in large skillet over medium-high heat; remove meat from skillet; use colander or strainer to drain off fat; set aside.
- Discard most of meat oil/drippings, but keep about 2 Tbsps. in skillet.
- Add half chopped onions, garlic to skillet w/meat drippings; cook over medium-high heat until onions are soft (not mushy, translucent.
- In large stock pot, add meat, onion/garlic mixture, beans, tomatoes, spices, peppers; bring to boil; lower heat to medium low; simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Garnish; serve w/cornbread.