Brian’s Grilled Whole Turkey
Serves 6 to 8
Prep time: 10-to-15 minutes; cooking time: 2 ½ to 3 hours
- 1 (12 lbs.) turkey
- Olive oil
- ½ cup Rubbed Dalmatian Sage
- 6 Tbsps. dried thyme
- 3 rosemary sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 apple (favorite variety)
- 1 lemon
- Salt & Pepper
- Smoke box (instructions below)
- Prep grill with smoke box for indirect medium-high heat.
- Remove giblets, neck from thawed turkey (cook giblets, neck or freeze them).
- Rinse turkey w/cold water; pat dry w/paper towels.
- Gently pull skin away from meat as much as possible around thighs, breasts, back, etc.
- In small bowl, mix sage, thyme together; spread mixture between skin and meat.
- Rub olive oil on top of skin; season w/Salt & Pepper.
- Cut apple, lemon in half and place them w/bay leaves, rosemary sprigs inside turkey cavity.
- Put turkey on grill breast side up; tent top w/foil.
- Grill about 15 minutes per pound; remove foil tent for last hour of grilling to brown bird.
- Rest turkey for 10-to-15 minutes; serve.
- 1 to 2 cups wood chips, damp (can purchase dry from local hardware store)
- Large foil sheet
- Place wood chips in center of foil.
- Form smoke box by folding edges of foil together like envelope, so chips are enclosed.