Chef Tee’s Italian Chicken Sausage & Peppers Sub Sandwich
Prep time: 5 minutes; cooking time: 15-to-20 minutes
- 5 (4-to-5 ounces) Italian chicken sausage links
- 2 Tbsps. vegetable oil
- ½ cup beer (can substitute chicken broth)
- 1 medium white onion, cut into ¼-inch slices
- ½ medium green bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 5 pretzel bread baguettes, cut in half lengthwise (optional—warm in oven or toaster)
- 2 cups favorite tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsps. parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsps. basil, chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- In large skillet, add oil, ¼ cup beer, sausage, onions, peppers; bring to a boil over medium-high heat; cover; cook until sausage is cooked through (about 5-to-10 minutes).
- Remove cover; brown sausage on all sides (about 2-to-3 minutes per side); transfer sausage, peppers, onions to separate dish.
- Stir in ¼ cup beer to hot skillet to loosen sausage drippings from bottom of pan; add tomato sauce; stir in parsley, basil.
- Bring tomato sauce mixture to boil; season to taste w/Salt & Pepper.
- Assemble sub by putting one sausage link, peppers, onions, tomato sauce in between two pretzel slices.
- Repeat step 5 for rest of ingredients.