Chef Tee’s Peanut Soup
Serves 4 to 6
Prep time: 10-to-15 minutes ; cooking time: 40-to-50 minutes
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- ½ Tbsp. cayenne pepper
- 3 Tbsps. flour
- 2 quarts chicken broth (heat this before adding to recipe)
- 2 cups peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of celery salt
- Optional garnishes—whole or ground peanuts and chopped cilantro
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; add celery and onion; sauté for a few minutes until vegetables are tender but not mushy.
- Add cayenne pepper, simmer for a few minutes more; stir in flour until blended.
- Add hot chicken broth; bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium low to simmer.
- Cook for about 30 minutes; stir mixture occasionally, so it doesn’t clump or stick to pan.
- Remove from heat; strain soup; throw away solids.
- Poor liquid back into saucepan; add peanut butter, lemon juice, salt, celery salt.
- Stir frequently over medium heat; cook until soup is heated through with a smooth consistency.
- Serve in your favorite bowls.
- Garnish with peanuts and chopped cilantro.