Chef Tee’s Salmon Cakes w/Smoked Paprika Mayonnaise
Serves 4 to 6
Prep time: 5 minutes; cooking time: 10-to-15 minutes
- 1 lb. salmon trim w/o skin
- 2 Tbsps. sherry
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup white onions, chopped
- ¼ cup green onions
- ¼ cup parsley
- Zest from ½ lemon
- ½ – to – 1 cup Panko bread crumbs
- ½ – to – 1 cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup canola oil
- Smoked Paprika Mayonnaise (1/2 cup mayonnaise, 2 Tbsps. smoked paprika mixed w/juice from ½ lemon)
- Garnish — tomato slices
- In medium pot, poach salmon, sherry, salt in just enough water to cover fish over medium heat; cook until salmon is light pink on outside, still little raw on inside.
- Transfer poached salmon to medium bowl; set aside.
Add celery, white onions, salt to poaching liquid; cook over medium-high heat until most of liquid is gone and celery, onions are moist, not soupy; set aside.
- While salmon is still in medium bowl, use tongs or fork to shred fish into medium chunks; add cooked celery, white onions, parsley, lemon zest, salt (if necessary), green onions, ½ cup mayo, ½ cup bread crumbs.
- Use rubber spatula to carefully fold together salmon ingredients until ingredients are moist and just hold together — may need more mayo, bread crumbs to achieve this.
- Use hands to form small salmon cakes w/2 Tbsps. – to – ¼ cup salmon mixture.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; add salmon cakes (may need to cook in a few batches, so don’t crowd pan); cook 2 minutes per side (or until golden brown).
- Transfer browned salmon cakes to preheated 400° F oven; cook 3-to-4 minutes or until done.
- Serve salmon w/Smoked Paprika Mayonnaise, tomato slices.