Prep time: 10 minutes; cooking time: 15- to-20 minutes
- 1 lb. Koch’s ground dark turkey meat
- ¼ cup oats
- ½ cup white onions, chopped
- 2 tsps. Ancho chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- ¼ cup sherry
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 4 submarine buns
- 1-to-2 cups Cucumber & Mint Salad (see recipe below)
- In large bowl, add turkey, oats, onions, ancho chili powder, Salt & Pepper, parsley; use hands to combine ingredients.
- Use hands to form 1-inch meatballs.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; add meatballs; brown about 3-to-4 minutes.
- Stir in flour; deglaze* pan with sherry.
- Add chicken stock; bring to a boil; cook until sauce thickens (about 2-to-3 minutes).
- Put ½ cup (or desired helping) of Cucumber & Mint Salad in submarine bun; spoon 3 or 4 meatballs on top of salad.
- Repeat step 6 for remaining salad, meatballs.
*Deglaze — adding stock, wine or another liquid to pan to loosen food particles that are stuck at bottom of pan.
Chef Tee’s Cucumber & Mint Salad
Makes about 2 cups
Prep time: 5 minutes; no cooking time
- 1 European cucumber
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 cup mint, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, cut into ¼ -inch slices
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (or to taste)
- 2 Tbsps. canola oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cut cucumber in half lengthwise; spoon out seeds; discard seeds; slice cucumber halves into ¼ -inch slices; set aside.
- In large bowl, add cucumber slices, rest of ingredients; toss.