Chef Tee’s Chicken with Cinnamon, Tomatoes & Honey
Prep time: 10 minutes ; cooking time: 2 to 2 ½ hours
- 2 whole chickens, quartered (may purchase pre-cut; do not remove skin)
- 2 cups onion, diced
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 2 cups green bell pepper, diced
- 3 Tbsps. dry thyme
- ¼ cup Morton® Seasoned Salt
- 1 quart water
- 1 can diced tomatoes w/juice
- ½ cup clover honey
- 3 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- ½ cup white onions, cut julienne
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 500° F.
- In large mixing bowl, combine diced onions, celery, green bell pepper, chicken, dry thyme, seasoned salt.
- Arrange chicken (skin-side up) and vegetables in large rectangular, oven-proof casserole dish; add water, cover tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil; cook for 1 hour.
- Carefully remove foil from casserole dish; continue baking for 30 minutes or until chicken is GB&D (golden brown & delicious).
- Remove chicken from oven; cool for about 15-30 minutes. (Note—you can bake chicken day before and refrigerate overnight then continue recipe.)
- Reserve 2 cups of vegetable juice from chicken dish; transfer chicken (skin side up) to clean, oven-proof, casserole dish; set chicken aside.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In medium sauce pan, combine reserved vegetable juice from chicken, tomatoes, honey, cinnamon, onions cut julienne, garlic, red pepper flakes; bring to a boil.
- Lower to medium heat and simmer; cook for about 15 minutes; pour sauce over chicken.
- Bake uncovered until chicken is browned and caramelized on top (about 20 minutes).
- Let sit for about 10 minutes; serve w/rice.